There are quite a few Hangover patches on the market now and Rebound is one of the newer ones. Naturally we jumped at the opportunity to put it to the test.
Hangover cure supplements are booming right now with consumers like us finding out that we don’t have to suffer as bad with hangovers anymore.
This is because some natural herbal ingredients can actually speed up alcohol break down and are packed with antioxidants which counteract some of the effects of alcohol.
Rebound is one of the only hangover patches that uses DHM which is a great ingredient for hangover so we were excited to test it out (we’ll get into why DHM is a good ingredient later).
As always, the ingredient list for hangover products is key to their efficacy so we are going to pay particularly close attention to this.
So lets get into the Rebound patch review and put it to the test.
Rebound Patch Background
The rebound website suggests their product has been made from “a decade of research by physicians, nutritionists and clinical researchers” – one would think they were researching a cure for cancer…
Apart from their highly unlikely claim for their product development, their choice of packaging is also questionable. Looks more like it contains kryptonite than hangover pills.
Nevertheless we have learnt over the years not to pay too much attention to packaging or marketing tactics and focus purely on the ingredients and user experience.
So how does Rebound work?
Essentially its designed to infuse vitamins and antioxidants through the skin to boost your livers ability to clear alcohol from your system and improve hangovers.
You’re meant to wear the patch while drinking and over night.
The way it works is that small blood vessels under the skin can absorb the ingredients directly into the blood stream. Similar to how a nicotine or contraceptive patch works.
So with that in mind – lets take a closer look at the ingredients.
Rebound Patch Ingredients
First things first, we look at the exact ingredient list from their packaging and we see some interesting things.
Firstly, Rebound uses a proprietary blend. This is something we really don’t like as its a way of manufacturers cutting corners to use less active ingredient and spend less on production costs.
In addition, we don’t know exactly how much of each ingredient is included in the patch itself. As you can seem half the ingredients are hidden by the proprietary blend so who knows how much of each is in Rebound?
That being said, they have got the right idea by picking some key ingredients needed in any hangover supplement:
• DHM (Dihydromyricetin/ Ampelopsin) – We noticed that Rebound have a new updated ingreident list with DHM included which we are happy to see. DHM has shown promise in recent trials which have shown it can increase alcohol breakdown. This means that DHM can help clear alcohol from your system at a faster rate. The less alcohol in your system, the less your hangover will be.
• B – Vitamins – We were happy to see B vitamins included in high doses which are essential in hangover cure products. The reason is, your liver needs B vitamins to help regenerate the enzymes which break down alcohol. So it goes hand in hand with DHM.
• Vitamin E – A well known antioxidant which are is to clearing up the by-products of alcohol breakdown and reduce “free radical” damage.
• Ginger Extract – This is truly a fantastic ingredient to have in any hangover cure product and we were happy to see its inclusion in rebound. Its scientifically proven to help reduce the nausea which is a big problem in many people who experience bad hangovers.
• Turmeric Extract – Again one of our favourite ingredients we like to see. The reason is turmeric has been shown to be a potent anti inflammatory herb. This can come in handy when you have a headache after drinking. Its a natural alternative to painkillers.
Rebound have included quite a few other ingredients which are great for hangovers including, Milk thistle, Taurine and NAC.
So what have they missed?
Not much really… but theres a couple of big problems.
Firstly, the main ingredients are hidden behind a proprietary blend as mentioned before. So who knows how much of each ingredient is included.
Secondly, Can a tiny patch really deliver the same amount of the active ingredients than a pill or drink? Quite frankly, we are skeptical that a patch can be as good.
Rebound Patch Reviews
Checking on Amazon, it scores 4.4 out of 5 which is pretty impressive. But bear in mind that they only have 34 reviews in total.
Some customers found the patch worked pretty well for them with one customer saying they felt significantly better after a night out.
Others mention it didn’t help at all.
Overall reviews are quite positive which is good to see.
Does it have any side effects?
The ingredients look pretty safe to us. Rebound uses natural ingredients with no stimulants. There are quite a lot of herbal extracts included and some like milk thistle may interact with prescribed medications – so its always best to check with your doctor if its right for you.
The main side effect with rebound (and in fact and hangover patch) is skin reactions to the sticky adhesive chemicals. This is particularly the case with people who have sensitive skin.
There are some reviews which mention how their skin went red and itchy around the site where they had the patch on. So if you’re someone with sensitive skin – its best to avoid hangover patches altogether.
Anything else to consider?
As with all hangover supplements, they only help if you drink sensibly and don’t over do it. If you’ve had 10 drinks the night before – then realistically nothing is going to help.
Always remember to eat a meal before you go out. It doesn’t matter what it is, as long as its food! Food is also always better than milk on its own which people say “lines your stomach”. But theres no evidence for this.
The Bottom line
Rebound is one of the better patches on the market today. It includes some key ingredients but its a shame most of them are hidden behind a proprietary blend.
Overall we feel that hangover pills are much more effective at preventing hangovers as they can get more of the good stuff in your system and don’t have the unwanted side effects of skin reactions.
You can check out our top picks for hangover prevention supplements below.