Why You Might Be Allergic To Alcohol
By James Petra
Updated on February 18, 2014

A great article in the Huffington post about how what we may have beleived to be hangover symptoms from drinking to much alcohol, might actually be symptoms of allergies:

It’s the morning after an office happy hour, and you now find yourself nauseated with a thundering headache. You may have had too much to drink and now find yourself with a morning hangover, but you may also have allergies to alcohol. Have you ever considered that a possibility?

So that next time you wake up feeling “hungover” and decide to run off and try one of the many home remedies to cure a nasty hangover (greasy pizza, breakfast sandwich, or a bloody mary), you may want to think back and see if this kind of thing happens when you drink alcohol. Hangover symptoms can be perceived as collateral damage to a good night out, but they may actually be the result of an allergic reaction to ingredients in alcohol.

So how do you tell if you are really allergic to alcohol or just suffering from a normal hangover?

It is possible to experience an allergic reaction to alcoholic beverages, but the alcohol itself is usually not the reason for the reaction. It is most likely the ingredients, such as sulfur dioxide, yeast and additives that actually cause the allergic reaction and lead you to feel less than perfect.

Here are some ingredients in alcohol that can cause a reaction:

  • Gluten and Wheat
  • Histamine
  • Sulfur Dioxide or Sulfites
  • Yeast
  • Grape Allergies
  • Tree Nut Allergies

Check out the article here: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-tim-mainardi-/alcohol-allergies_b_4769469.html

James Petra

James is a beer-loving Biochemist and natural health enthusiast from Hull, which is in Yorkshire, England.

Leave a Reply