So you got yourself plastered silly last night. (Again?!) So now you wake up a big mess, with your mouth dry, feeling disoriented, a pounding headache, twitchy nerves, and an upset stomach. (How about a guilty conscience?) And do you really think it can’t get any worse than that? Think again.
Well that’s too bad. There is really no “wonder cure” for hangovers.
But you could relieve the symptoms brought in by excessive swigging and guzzling. It’s never really too late to start damage control. So read on for these helpful tips.
- Do not drink more thinking that it’ll reverse the effects of hangover. It won’t. (Where’d you get that silly idea anyway?)
- Drink plenty of water or fresh juice. Avoid coffee, tea, soda or any caffeinated beverages. Caffeine is also a diuretic and will only dehydrate the body faster.
- Eat light, nutritious food and stay away from greasy, fatty foods. The liver will have a hard time processing meat yet considering the amount of alcohol you lapped up.
- Eat bananas. They are rich in sugar, potassium, and magnesium which can help you with the headaches. Plus they taste good too.
- Consider placing an icepack on your throbbing skull.
- Do not drive a vehicle or operate heavy machinery. Don’t even try!
- Exercise a bit. The fresh air, not to mention increased oxygen flow, will do you good.
- Have a hot shower or a hot bath. It’ll sweat out the toxins and drive off the alcohol smell (or any other smell for that matter).
- Sleep it off.
Usually hangover symptoms last only about 24 hours. If you don’t feel like suffering through them again, well, you can seriously think about completely giving up drinking. But then again…
Photo Credit: Lotus Carroll via Compfight cc